I'm ready to import my donation history. How's the best way to do this? Any advice before I begin?
Our Data Import area provides you with the tools needed to import your donation history.
Go to Data Setup > Data Import/Export
Here, you'll find templates to build the appropriate .CSV files based on your donation history and categories so REACH can create all aspects of the record during the import process.
The Data Import tool will allow an organization to import sponsorships, supporters (donors), and donation history for your supporters so you can transfer all of your information from legacy systems. When first importing information into REACH, the order of your imports should be: Sponsorships, Supporters and then Donation History. The imports will build on each other. You will use the permalinks created by the Sponsorship Import to connect Supporters with existing Sponsorships. You will use the permalinks created by the Supporter Import to link Donation History to a Supporter.
For Donation History, use the Donation History Template. The Donation History Template will provide you with instructions and the data needed for each sponsorship. The file downloaded will have several sheets included, the first one lists the column names and the information REACH needs in the columns. The second sheet is where you can enter the information for the import. The other sheets included are for your reference when setting the referral and referral_type columns.
*Depending upon the version of Excel you have, you may receive a potentially corrupt notification for the .XML import template. The file is not corrupt and is ok to download and open.
- We recommend completing a test import with only a handful of donation records. With the test import completed, you can see firsthand where each data field maps to and fix any errors accordingly before importing all of your records. After a file is imported, you will receive a notice of any errors.
- We suggest you limit each file to 2,000 records or under. If you have over 2,000 records, simply build additional spreadsheets in increments of 2,000 records.
- Delete any empty rows from your spreadsheet. This will save time during the import process. Empty columns should not cause a problem.
- For the Donation History Import, there are 12 required fields: first_name, last_name, address1, postal, city, state (if the country is the United States or Canada), country, phone, date, amount, payment_type, and currency.
The first_name, last_name, address1, postal, city, state, and country columns are only needed if the Supporter has not been already uploaded or added to your REACH account. You can link a donation to a supporter in your account by using the permalink REACH created for them, or their email address.
- Each donation record/row must have a referral_type and referral if you want to designate the donation to a set Place, Project, Campaign, Donation Category, or Sponsorship. The included sheets in the Excel Workbook will list the permalink to use for the referral.
- The imported file needs to be in standard Comma Separated Values .csv file format (not CSV UTF-8). If you are using Excel on a Mac, the format to choose when saving is listed under the specialty formats, not the common formats.
- REACH does offer help with your imports using our Retainer Service. Once your retainer hours have been purchased and the data has been sent over to our team, please allow 30-60 days for completion. Contact us for an estimate of hours based on the size of import.
Ready to Import?
Once you have the file ready:
- Go to Data Setup > Data Import/Export- Import Type > Donation History
- Choose File
- Click on green 'Import Data' button
The import job will be added to the queue and should not take long to complete unless you have several other jobs also running in the background. Any errors from your import will be flagged with a red caution button. Simply click on the button to review your errors.