I'm ready to import my supporter records. How's the best way to do this? Any advice before I begin?
Before importing your supporters, be sure to have your sponsorships imported as these records build on each other.
Our Data Import area provides you with the tools needed to import your supporters.
Go to Data Setup > Data Import/Export
Here, you'll find templates to build the appropriate .CSV files based on your supporter records so REACH can create all aspects of the record during the import process.
The Data Import tool will import your sponsorships, supporters (donors), and donation history for your supporters so you can transfer all of your information from legacy systems. When first importing information into REACH, the order of your imports should be: Sponsorships, Supporters and then Donation History. The imports will build on each other. You will use the permalinks created by the Sponsorship Import to connect Supporters with existing Sponsorships. You will use the permalinks created by the Supporter Import to link Donation History to a Supporter.
For Supporters, use the Supporter Import Template. The template will provide you with instructions and the data needed for each supporter. The file downloaded will have two sheets included, the first one lists the column names and the information REACH needs in the columns. The second sheet is where you can enter the information for import.
*Depending upon the version of Excel you have, you may receive a potentially corrupt notification for the .XML import template. The file is not corrupt and is ok to download.
- There are 10 required fields marked on the Supporter Import Template - sponsorship_id, shares, first_name, last_name, email, address1, postal, city, state (if country is United States, Canada, or Australia), country, phone. The sponsorship_id and share columns are only required if the supporter needs to be linked to their sponsorship. The first_name and last_name columns are not required if you have included information in the organization column. Email is not required unless you want to update an existing supporter. A phone number is no longer required.
- We recommend completing a test import with only a handful of supporter records. With the test import completed, you can see firsthand where each data field maps to and fix any errors accordingly before importing all of your records. After a file is imported, you will receive a notice of any errors.
- We suggest you limit each file to 2,000 records or under. If you have over 2,000 records, simply build additional spreadsheets in increments of 2,000 records.
- Delete any empty rows from your spreadsheet. This will save time during the import process. Empty columns should not cause a problem.
- The imported file needs to be in standard Comma Separated Values .csv file format (not CSV UTF-8). If you are using Excel on a Mac, the format to choose when saving is listed under the specialty formats, not the common formats.
- REACH does offer help with your imports using our Retainer Service. Once your retainer hours have been purchased and the data has been sent over to our team, please allow 30-60 days for completion. Contact us for an estimate of hours based on the size of import.
Ready to Import?
Once you have the file ready:
- Go to Data Setup > Data Import/Export- Import Type > Supporters
- Choose File
- Click on green 'Import Data' button
The import job will be added to the queue and should not take long to complete unless you have several other jobs also running in the background. Any errors from your import will be flagged with a red caution button. Simply click on the button to review your errors.