I'm ready to import my sponsorship records. How's the best way to do this? Any advice before I begin?
Our Data Import area provides you with all the tools needed to import your sponsorships.
We do offer help with your imports using our Retainer Service if interested. Once your retainer hours have been purchased and the data has been sent over to our team, please allow 30-60 days for completion. Contact us for an estimate of hours based on the size of import.
To import your sponsorships, go to Data Setup > Data Import/Export.
Here, you'll find templates to build the appropriate .CSV files based on your sponsorship types and categories so REACH can create all aspects of the record during the import process.
The Data Import tool will allow an organization to import sponsorships, supporters (donors), and donation history for your supporters so you can transfer all of your information from legacy systems. When first importing information into REACH, the order of your imports should be: Sponsorships, Supporters and then Donation History. The imports will build on each other. You will use the permalinks created by the Sponsorship Import to connect Supporters with existing Sponsorships. You will use the permalinks created by the Supporter Import to link Donation History to a Supporter.
For Sponsorships, use the Sponsorship Import Template. The template will provide you with instructions and the data needed for each sponsorship. The file downloaded will have two sheets included, the first one lists the column names and the information REACH needs in the columns. The second sheet is where you can enter the information for the import.
*Depending upon the version of Excel you have, you may receive a potentially corrupt notification for the .XML import template. The file is not corrupt and is ok to download and open.
- You will need to fully set up your program in REACH prior to import, including your custom fields, sponsorship types and share types.
- We recommend completing a test import with only a handful of sponsorship records. With the test import completed, you can see firsthand where each data field maps to and fix any errors accordingly before importing all of your records. After a file is imported, you will receive a notice of any errors.
- We suggest you limit each file to 2,000 records or under. If you have over 2,000 records, simply build additional spreadsheets in increments of 2,000 records.
- Delete any empty rows from your spreadsheet. This will save time during the import process. Empty columns should not cause a problem.
- For the Sponsorship Import, there are two required fields: the title (name of the sponsorship) and the sponsorship_type_id (correlates with the sponsorship types you have set up). The title field will be used by the system to create a unique permalink for your sponsorships.
Importing your Sponsorship Images:
- Sponsorships will not display to the public without a profile image. If you do not have one ready, we suggest using a placeholder image.
- On the Sponsorship Import Template, the first image_url will be used as the sponsorship's profile image. If an image is already in place for the sponsorship, it will be replaced by the image file listed in the image_url column.
- You can upload more than one image, one being the main sponsorship image, and others to be added to the sponsorships album. If you expect to have several images per sponsorship and update them on a regular basis, we suggest you use our Sponsorship Album Import. See the article entitled: "How do I import images to my sponsorship album?"
- A total of four images are allowed in the import for each sponsorship. You can include more images in the columns for image_url_2, image_url_2, and image_url_4. These images will be included in the sponsorship's album which you can update your REACH Theme to display on the Sponsorship Page of the website.
- You can also mass upload images using our FTP service and then link the image(s) uploaded to the FTP site to your sponsorships with the Sponsorship Import Template. To obtain instructions on how to upload to our FTP site, email us.
- The imported file needs to be in standard Comma Separated Values .csv file format (not CSV UTF-8). If you are using Excel on a Mac, the format to choose when saving is listed under the specialty formats, not the common formats.
Ready to Import?
Once you have the file ready:
- Go to Data Setup > Data Import/Export- Import Type > Sponsorships
- Choose File
- Click on green 'Import Data' button
The import job will be added to the queue and should not take long to complete unless you have several other jobs also running in the background. Any errors from your import will be flagged with a red caution button. Simply click on the button to review your errors.
Still have questions? Review our Sponsorship FAQs.
How do I import images to my sponsorship album?